What does the term ‘operations’ describes?
Operations positions focus on managing a highly efficient process flow while managing and minimizing operational risks and delivering excellent service to the (internal) clients. In this role you are working on quality and/or process optimization. You identify opportunities for improvement in processes and you contribute to the realization of these opportunities for improvement.
Tasks will typically involve…
- Running daily processes to clear and settle transactions
- Reconciling systems by checking that data flows from the revenue-generating front office to the operations systems (operations control)
- Monitoring the activity and reports of daily transactions
- Investigating breaks
Positions you can think of within the Operations domain:
Junior officer for Financial Markets | Resolve clients queries relating to financial markets products and services. Execute payments, match trade confirmations, monitor the progress of client queries and resolve late or incorrect payments.
Operations Control Officer | Responsible for overseeing and managing the whole Operations Control chain to help ensure Operational Excellence. You do so by executing a wide range of reconciliations investigating root causes for breaks and ensuring these breaks get resolved by the relevant departments and manage incoming and outgoing claims from/to counterparties.
Transaction Officer | Processing derivatives, commodity and equity derivatives products and managing the related cash settlements.
Required quality and skills for operational positions:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent (within studies such as Business Economics, International Management, Business and Management, Banking and Finance, Financial Management, Business Administration etc.)
- Fluent in English;
- Strong Excel skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Organizing and monitoring;
- Understandingoperational process workflows and knowledge of financial products are a plus.
What about the future?
As a manager of an operations team you will for example:
- Recruit, train and coach team members, organise team meetings, manage team members and have responsibility for individual and team appraisals
- Make sure that processes are constantly improving, and participate in step-change improvement projects
- Manage projects such as analysing a system, identifying and specifying developments and improvements and coordinating the testing and implementation of new systems.
Research consultant BrightYP, Malorie Peyruchaud: “The operations workfield is a domain where you can definitely learn a lot about the Financial sector and the Banking industry as you are in contact with many & diverse stakeholders. In the domain of operations, you are constantly challenged to improve processes in order to make things more efficient and you also have plenty of possibilities to develop yourself! I would like to get to know you in person. What are your challenges and ambitions?”
You can always contact me!
Email: Malorie.firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +316 11271832